Skip to main content

BLT Salad

I said yesterday that I was planning on making several dishes from Food and Wine's 2010 Annual Cookbook, so for lunch today, I made my version of their BLT Bread Salad.  The differences were that I used tortilla strips instead of thick bread croutons, I used a simple mayonnaisse and basil dressing, where their's was more complex, made with silken tofu, canola oil and champagne vinegar.  The end result tasted just like a BLT.  Very refreshing and a nice light lunch. 


BLT Salad (serves 4):

4 slices cooked bacon, cut into 1/2 " strips
1 head butter lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 roma tomato, sliced
2 T Mayonnaise
1/2 t dried basil
1 T water
salt and pepper
1 oz tortilla strips

To make the dressing, mix together in a small bowl the mayonnaise, basil, and a dash of salt and pepper until smooth and pourable.

Place lettuce into large boal.  Add the dressing and toss to combine.

Equally divide the lettuce into four salad bowls.  Place the tomato, bacon and some tortilla strips on top of the lettuce.

Serve immediately.


BLT Salad