Skip to main content

Bam. Spicy Creole Jambalaya

I made a ham this Sunday for dinner, and with our family unit getting smaller and smaller, I had a lot left over, even after giving Will enough for many sandwiches.

When I was young, my Mom often cooked jambalaya with leftover ham so I thought I'd wing it and try to make it as close to how I remember she did it.  I could have called her for the recipe, but it was 10 PM by the time I got around to prepping dinner.

I had blogged another jambalaya recipe a few years ago which had potatoes in it.  This version, in my opinion is a lot better.  There is plenty of heat and the flavors of the creole spice are a treat for the palate.  And did I say so so so easy?  This was 25 mins of prep and cooking time.  This was close to my Mom's but I think mine has bit more heat.  I think I'll bring her some over tomorrow.  Serve with corn bread (gluten free preferred) for optimal enjoyment!


Spicy Jambalaya (Serves 4)

Ingredients:
2 C chopped, cooked ham
1 15 oz can fired roasted diced tomatoes
1 12 oz can Rotel tomatoes (with green chilies)
1 9 oz package Vigo yellow saffron rice (prepared as per package)
1/4 C water
1/4 t  paprika
1/2 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t  black pepper
1/4 onion powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t dried thyme
Directions:
  1. Cook rice per package instructions - keep warm in covered pot
  2. While rice cooks, in large skillet over medium heat, add the two cans of tomatoes, water, prepared ham, and all spices.  Stir to combine and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the flavors combine.
  3. With heat still on low and add prepared Vigo rice to pan with tomatoes and spice.  Stir gently to combine and cook for an addition 3 minutes.  Enjoy