Skip to main content

Spring has Arrived

We have had a long, seemingly never ending Winter this year.  It just hung on and did not want to let us go.  Today however, we can say that Spring is here to stay - we saw 62 with blue sky abounding.  There were a few predictions of a Wintry mix on Friday, but nothing came to be.  It was sunny all weekend and it is still 48 degrees now, Sunday evening at 8:30 PM.

I had a busy weekend; cleaned some closets, loaded up bags of clothing for charity, gave my laundry room a good Spring cleaning and assorted other chores that I had been putting off.

It was also my nephew's 3rd birthday so I went to my brother's house for a little party.  He is a hoot and a cutie.  He was rushing through the pizza and cake to get to the presents!

Ron and Will have been in Chicago all weekend for the first Guts Frisbee tournament of the season; the Illinois Indoor.  They play on Team Shottle Bop; our party store being the sponsor.  And guess what?  THEY WON IT!  I watched the final match on a live stream and it was great.  Besides Ron, all of the players on our team are 20 and under.  The finals went to three games (need to win 2 out of 3 for the match) and they pulled it off; beating a team with guys from Lansing and Appleton.  So proud :)

David and Mary Ellen invited me over for dinner this evening, since they knew I was alone this weekend.  I arrived about 6 PM and David was preparing three plates of Shrimp Louie Salad.  I had heard of this but I honestly don't think that I have ever had it.  It is one of those American created salads from the early/mid 20th century (along with the Cobb Salad and the Cesar).  It was just delicious - the perfect light meal to end a busy and productive (and sunny) weekend.  I also had a nice add to my sparkling water - fresh basil from their indoor basil plant.  (see photo) Thanks to my friends for inviting me over and sharing this great dish, which I will try again at home.



Shrimp Louie Salad

Ingredients:

Salad (serves 1)

Romain Lettuce
1/2 Pound Cooked Shrimp (chilled) - David grilled his with garlic and OO, then chilled.  You can also buy Pre Cooked shrimp
1 hard boiled egg (chilled)
4-5 Grape tomatoes, halved
1 Mini Cucumber
1/4 C Whole, pitted black olives
1/2 Avocado, cut into chunks
1 Lemon Wedge

Louie Dressing (serves 4)

1/2 C Mayonnaise
1/2 C Greek Yogurt
3 T Fresh Chopped Parsley
3 T Cocktail Sauce
1T Steak Sauce (like A1)
1 t Horseradish
2 T Lemon Juice

Directions:

Assemble the lettuce and all toppings and garnishes on a large plate as shown in photo.  Combine all ingredients for dressing and pour desired amount over salad.

I Loved it! - Foodie Mama



Shrimp Louie, Basil Infused Soda Water

Nephew

Team Shottle Bop:  Kyle, Will, Carter, Alex, Stephen, Ron