Skip to main content

Quinoa, Rice and Toasted Chickpea Tabbouleh

I think I mentioned in prior posts that I am a member for the Daughters of Italy?  Anyway, it is a service club that was founded in 1919 for Italian immigrant women in the Copper Country as a support organization.  Now, we do fundraising for local Catholic charities and meet once a month to visit and plan events.  Our monthly meeting is tonight and since I am an officer (secretary) I need to bring a dish.  Given I have a busy day at work, I needed to use what I had on hand so I made my traditional tuna noodle salad (not necessary to post about noodles, tuna, mayo, salt and celery) and a new dish I just made up and have posted here, a Tabbouleh made with quinoa, rice and chickpeas.

It turned out so good.  I am a big fan of toasted chickpeas for a snack, served warm in a couscous bowl or in this case, cooled and mixed into a crunchy salad.  When I roasted and toasted the chickpeas, I used more oil in this version than when I made the couscous bowl and I also reduced the oven temp and lengthened the baking time.  It seemed to make the chickpeas more crunchy.  This  was very crunchy and so flavorful.  I'll make again! 

Hopefully the Daughters of Italy will like this Quasi-Middle Eastern Salad.  I am also bringing the always fabulous Caramel Chocolate Saltines for dessert.  - Have a great day, Foodie Followers xxoo


Quinoa, Rice and Toasted Chickpea Tabbouleh

Ingredients:

2/3 C Quinoa
1/3 C Long Grain Rice
1 - 15 oz Can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/8 C EVOO plus 3 T
1 t Ground Cumin
1 t Garlic Powder
1/2 t Chili Powder
pinch of Sea Salt
pinch of Ground Black Pepper
1 Celery Stalk, chopped very fine
1 Medium Carrot, shredded
1 Small White Onion, chopped very fine
1 Firm Tomato, diced, removing seeds
1/8 C Lemon Juice
1/2 C Chopped Fresh Parsley or 2 TB Dried Parsley


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Whisk together 1 T EVOO, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Add the chickpeas.  Toss to combine.  
  • Place chickpeas on baking sheet and cook for 45 mins, turning a few times.  Once done baking, set aside and let cool to room temperature.
  • Rinse the rice and quinoa before cooking.  Place into a pot and add 1 1/2 C water and 2 T EVOO.  Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, until water absorbed.  Stir occasionally during cooking.  Fluff with fork and set aside to cool to room temperature.
  • Once the chickpeas and quinoa/rice are cooled, add the celery, carrot, onion, tomato, 1/8 C EVOO and 1/8 C lemon juice to the grain mixture.  Stir gently to combine.
  • Gently fold in the chickpeas and parsley into the mixture.
  • Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until serving.  If it gets too dry after sitting, add a T of EVOO and 1/2 T lemon juice and stir.


Quinoa, Rice and Toasted Chickpea Tabbouleh