Skip to main content

Spicy Asian Cod Cakes - Thanks, Home Chef!

I made another Home Chef meal today for Mickayla and I.  Spicy Asian Cod Cakes.  They were excellent.  I had never made and fish cakes or crab cakes before.  These turned out delicious, except that I burned the green beans (so I substituted spinach in my version).  Some of the spice packets and mixtures didn't provide ingredients so I will guess here at the exact contents.

As I sit here writing this, about 20 minutes after eating, the noodles have almost immediately made me tired.  Ugh.  When will I learn?  But it tastes so darn good!  I could have left out the pasta and been satisfied with just the cod cakes.  I will definitely make these fish cakes again, perhaps next time with a honey mustard or lemon based dipping sauce instead of the Asian flavoring and skip the noodles.

Next week I will try a vegetarian Sun Basket brand meal kit.


Spicy Asian Cod Cakes from Home Chef (2 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 4 T Olive Oil
  • 5 oz Spaghetti
  • 4 oz Green Beans
  • 12 oz Cod (thawed, if frozen)
  • 1/2 C Panko Breadcrumbs
  • 2 oz Mayonnaise
  • 1 t Chinese 5 spice
  • 1 t Garlic powder
  • 1 t Chili powder
  • 2 t Soy sauce
  • 1 t Sesame Oil
  • 3 oz Matchstick cut carrots
  • 2 t Sriracha
Directions:
  • Cook spaghetti according to directions.  Reserve 1/4 C of the cooking water.  Drain spaghetti, rinse with cold water and return to pot.
  • Trim green beans and cut into 1 inch pieces.
  • Pat cod fillets dry and cut into 1 inch chunks.
  • In a mixing bowl, combine cooking water, panko, mayo, Chinese 5 spice, garlic powder and chili powder.  Let rest for at least 5 minutes.
  • Heat a non stick frying pan over med high heat and add 2T olive oil to the pan.
  • Add cod chunks and a dash of pepper to the pan.  Cook until flaky, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Remove cod from pan, put on plate and set aside for about 5 minutes, until cool enough to handle with fingers.
  • Add the cooled cod to the panko mixture, combining, breaking up cod, using hands if necessary.  Form into 4 cakes about 1/2 inch thick
  • Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
  • In the frying pan, add green beans.  Cook over medium heat about 6 minutes, until beans are tender (I burnt mine, so I wilted some spinach in it's place)
  • Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and carrots to pan.  Stir until combined.
  • Put vegetable mixture into the pot with spaghetti, stir to combine and cover. 
  • Using the pan again, heat to medium high, add 2 T Olive Oil.  Add cod cakes to heated pan.  Cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes per side.
  • Plate with spaghetti and vegetable as the base, topped by 2 crab cakes per serving and serve with Sriracha if desired.

Spicy Asian Cod Cakes

Frying the Cod Cakes