Skip to main content

Black Bean Chili

 Chili is one of those dishes that everyone has their own unique version of.  There are wide differences in the level of heat, meat and meatless versions,  chunky with veggies or smooth.  No wonder there are so many chili contests around.  I don't envy the judges as there is no gold standard for chili, only personal choice.

Ron loves chili and asks me to make it at least once per month.  I posted at least one other version in my blog.  The last time he asked for it, I did not have kidney beans or chili beans in the house but I did have black beans so I used then and wow, this was so dang good I needed to post so I would remember how to make it again.  

Super simple, super yummy.  I hope you enjoy.  Adjust the spices to your personal preferences, of course!


Black Bean Chili

Ingredients:

  • 1lb lean ground beef
  • evoo
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 t chili powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t pepper
  • 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted with poblano peppers added for an extra kick of flavor)
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 C water
  • 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained, not rinsed
  • sour cream and cheese for topping (optional)

Directions:

  1. Drizzle a little evoo in a large pot on medium heat.
  2. Brown the ground beef and then add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, chili powder, salt and pepper.  
  3. Add the diced tomatoes (with liquid), tomato paste and add about 1 C of water.  Stir until combined.  Taste and add salt or other spices to your preference.
  4. Add the black beans and stir.  Bring chili to a boil, then turn down to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
  5. Drizzle with sour cream, Mexican crema and/or shredded cheese of your liking.


Black Bean Chili