Skip to main content

Starting the Mediterranean Diet - Jan 2018

Happy 2018 to everyone!  I hope everyone has high hopes for 2018 and and I wish everyone much prosperity and happiness.

I turned 50 last year and am really trying to focus on my health and well being.  Diet and exercise need to be more automatic in my day to day activities.  The Mediterranean Diet philosophy seems to be one that I could adhere to.  It contains all of the foods I love.

I'll track my progress here and try to blog recipes leading to my weight loss goals in 2018.  Ron and I have an upcoming trip to Vegas planned in a few weeks so I'll also blog about the food adventures there.

Happy to be back - I have missed regular blogging.  Hope you enjoy my recipe for Italian cabbage coup.  Variations are really limitless, depending on your taste preferences.  This soup is low calorie, heart healthy (even healthier if you swap the sausage for chicken or even forgo meat altogether) yet so very satisfying.


Italian Cabbage and Sausage Soup

1/2 Head of Cabbage, Coarsely chopped
1/2 lb Ground Mild Italian Sausage (or other meat of choice - hamburger, ground turkey, chicken)
1 -  14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
2 t Dried Basil
3 Chicken Bullion Cubes
2 Qt Water
1 t Garlic Powder (or 1 T minced garlic)
1 t Onion Powder (or 1 T minced onion)
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the sausage in stock pot.  Stir in basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  Add water and bouillon cubes.  Bring to boil.  Add cabbage and tomatoes.  Again, bring to boil.  Reduce heat and cook through for about 30 - 45 minutes.  Serve with crusty Italian whole grain bread.

Hearty Cabbage and Italian Sausage Soup