Skip to main content

Simple and Satisfying: Black Beans and Rice

Foodie followers!  I am still feeling great, and have been sticking to my healthy food choices for almost 2 weeks.  Two cheats were:  some corn chips at night while watching documentaries on Netflix (twice) and some spaghetti sauce with a little piece of crusty bread.  Other that that, I've been mainly vegan.

I made a big pot of black beans with onions (double the batch in the recipe here) yesterday with the hopes of having them available for a few days.  After a crazy day at work today I was looking forward to a nice bowl of leftovers but, when I went to the fridge, I found that Mickayla, Will's girlfriend, ate the rest of them.  I don't really mind; she eats a lot of veggies and is one person around here that will try all of the things I have been experimenting with.  But I must admit I was a bit bummed.  Oh well, I'll make more. We really like Mickayla.  She and will make a cute couple.  And they are both quite studious; working hard at finishing up their Spring semester classes.


Mickayla and Will



Black Beans and Rice


Ingredients:

1 15 oz can Black Beans
1/2 C chopped onion (I used yellow)
2 T EVOO
1T lemon juice
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher or sea salt, to taste
2 C long grain rice (prepared as directed)


Directions:

  1. Heat olive oil in sauce pan on medium heat.  
  2. Add chopped onion and cook until onions are fragrant and translucent, about 10-12 minutes.
  3. Add the beans (with liquid) and the lemon juice to pan.  Combine and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 C of the cilantro.
  5. Add the remaining 1/4 C of cilantro to the cooked rice.  Stir to combine.  Add a bit of salt, to taste.
  6. Serve the rice with the beans.

Cooking the Beans and Onions


The Fragrant Rice with Fresh Cilantro Added




Delicious!