Skip to main content

Foodie Mama's 100th Post

I have been keeping this blog since 2011 as a venue to store as well as to share some of my favorite recipes along with my personal notes and anecdotes along the way.  This is my one hundredth posting.  I went around and around in my thought process about what profound thing to write about.  I ended up going with just another recipe, albeit a fabulously simple and delicious dessert.

In perusing my old posts recently, what I have gleaned, in addition to all the type-os I need to fix, is that I have matured in my cooking and in my eating habits.  We all have our old stand - bys, either recipes our mothers or grandmothers made or taught us to make, or the simple meals we make when we have children at home, especially fussy eaters.  There is that wonderful nostalgia that comes with creating those dishes.  But in the past couple of years, I really feel have come into my own as a cook. Regularly trying new recipes, using more herbs and varied spices, as well as inventing new recipes and adding new twists to old favorites.  I think any fear I had in the kitchen is gone.  Which is a wonderful thing, don't you think?

I truly enjoy sharing with you, my fellow foodie followers and I hope you enjoy reading my recipes and my stories.

Here is to the next one hundred bits of fun and food.  Cheers! - Fab Foodie Mama


Caramel Chocolate Saltines
YUM Squared


Ingredients:
  • One Sleeve of Saltine Crackers
  • 1 stick Butter
 
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Put rack in center position.
  2. Lay aluminum foil in a large baking sheet (with sides) and spray generously with cooking spray.
  3. Lay the saltines, salt side down, on the pan, see photo
  4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the brown sugar.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce back to medium and cook until mixture turns a caramel color, about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Pour the brown sugar and butter mixture over the saltines, completely covering them.
  6.  Place pan into oven and cook for 3-4 minutes, until caramel begins to bubble, but not burn.
  7. Remove from oven and pout the chocolate chips over the hot caramel.  When chocolate melts, gently spread over caramel to cover completely.  (if using a second type of chips, layer chocolate first, then the second type, swirling with spatula as it melts - refer to photo)
  8. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
  9. When frozen, break into pieces, as shown in photo.  Store in air tight container in fridge.  ENJOY this.  It is amazing!

Saltines arranged on baking sheet