Skip to main content

Simple- to- Make Dessert Made Fancy

I have been going to a lot of Pot Luck dinners lately.  My work assignment has changed recently which has reduced my travel from twice a moth to nearly never!  This has allowed me to participate in a lot more community events which I had not been able to in the past four years.

One of the groups I am a member of is called the Daughters of Italy.  It was founded about one hundred years ago in the Copper Country of Upper Michigan as a group for Italian immigrant women to help each other in a new place where things were unfamiliar and foreign.  It still exists today but more of a social club. 

We meet once a month and this month I am providing a dessert.  I made this Lemon Cookies and Cream Trifle.  I could have just as easily made this in a 9x11 pan, but the trifle makes it more fancy and pretty.  This was so easy and delicious.  I am going to try with chocolate pudding and chocolate cookies next time. 


Lemon Cookies and Cream Trifle

Ingredients:
2  - 3.4 oz packages instant lemon pudding mix
3 1/2 c cold 2% milk
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c butter, softened
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 - 12 oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
12 - 14 oz lemon sandwich cookies, coarsely broken into pieces

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
  2. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth, with a standing or hand held mixer. Gradually stir in pudding until blended.
  3. Set aside 1/4 cup each of whipped topping and crushed cookies for garnish. Fold remaining whipped topping into pudding mixture.
  4. Place half of the remaining cookies in a 3-qt. glass trifle bowl; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved whipped topping and crushed cookies. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).