Skip to main content

Perfect Protein Salad

There is a salad I love that I get at least once a month from our local food co-op.  It is called Perfect Protein salad and really, is just that:  a crunchy and flavorful salad made with chickpeas, dill dressing and lots of other veggies.  From time to time I would look at the ingredients wondering if I could recreate this salad, for less than the deli price.  Don't get me wrong, it's worth it, but I was hoping I could make it for less than $12.00/pound.

A quick Google search and voila!  I found a recipe which mimicked it perfectly.  I am so happy now that I can make one of my favorite salads at home, and also to share with Rachel and my sister Ruth any time I want.  I hope you enjoy it.  

 

 

 

Perfect Protein Salad


Ingredients

3 cups water
1 cup (180g) spelt or wheat berries
2 (14-ounce) cans garbanzo beans
1 English cucumber - peeled, seeded and diced (about 1 1/2 cups/120g)
1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and diced (about 1 cup /130g)
3 ribs celery, diced (1 cup/120g)
1 carrot, peeled and diced (1/2 cup/65g)
1 small white onion, finely diced (1/2 cup/60g)
1/3 bunch parsley, chopped (1 1/2 cups/45g)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to season
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Instructions

Add 3 cups of water to a medium pot and add the spelt berries. Over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover, cooking until tender but still chewy, about 45 minutes. Drain and cool.

In a salad, bowl mix together cooked spelt berries, garbanzo beans, diced cucumbers, green pepper, celery, carrots, onion and chopped parsley.

Mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, dill, salt, basil and garlic; pour over salad and mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Salad will stay fresh for up to 4 days, covered, in the refrigerator.