Skip to main content

Not Rocket Science...plants just make you feel better

I have blogged a lot recently about trying to eat more of a plant based diet.  I've been going along pretty consistently for a couple of months now and it is amazing how much better I feel when I eat mainly vegetables, lentils and (mainly gluten free) grains.

I have SO much more energy when I don't load up on the meats, the refined carbs and all the sugars I had been eating for so long.  Don't get me wrong, I do indulge.  In fact, I turn 51 on Friday and will make sure I have a piece of birthday cake.  My goals will simply be to EAT MOSTLY PLANTS and to GET LIGHT!

I made up this soup recipe this morning because I was craving something spicy and also wanted to have a vegan day.  This really was made from things in the cupboards.  Alter as you like.  It's just soup, you know.  Have fun with it. :-)

GET LIGHT!
   - Foodie Mama



Spicy Bean Soup

Ingredients:

2 T Olive Oil
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic or equivalent minced garlic
1 Can Diced Green Chilies w/ Diced Tomatoes
salt and pepper
2t  Cumin
2t  Oregano
1 1/2 t Chili Powder
1 Qt Vegetable Stock
2 Cans Great Northern Beans
1 T Corn Starch (if desired, for thickening)

Directions:

  1. In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 10-12 minutes.  Do not caramelize.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Stir in the can of chilies and tomatoes, the cumin, oregano, chili powder and vegetable stock.  Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
  3. Add the beans and the corn starch.  Heat for about 30 minutes and serve.


Spicy Bean Soup