Skip to main content

Carmelita's Mexican Grille

After a long few days at work, and exceptionally grueling one yesterday, I did not feel like cooking.  And, since Rachel was at work and Will at baseball tryouts, Ron and I took a ride to Calumet to Carmelita's for dinner.  Carmelita's is really the only Mexican restaurant in the area.  It has been open for several years now and they have even opened a small restaurant in Houghton near MTU.  I like the atmosphere of the place, and last evening it was quite busy.  It is located in an old building that has been restored.  It has beautiful old tin ceilings that have been painted to match the decor.

Ron and I both played it safe and boring and had the combination plate.  I had a spinach enchilada, a seafood enchilada and a whitefish taco.  The taco was very good; the fish was flaky and fresh.  The enchiladas were so-so, a little too much cheese in the spinach one and I wasn't crazy about the flavor in the seafood one.  Ron had a tamale, a chicken enchilada and a pork enchilada.  Both entrees came with a large helping of Spanish rice and pinto beans.  With 2 glasses of wine, the entire bill was on $34, so relatively inexpensive for a large portion of food.  Next time I want to try something new such as the carne asada.

Salud,
Foodie Mama

Carmelita's Interior

Combination Plate

Exterior